Who are you? Tell something about yourself
– Im Tkay, Im a Vocalist/Rapper/something rather from Adelaide, Australia and I specialise in doing electronic/hip-hop… Its all about fun and vibes.
When and how did you start making music?
– I started about 3 years ago, during my final year of high school I was just doing it for fun. Making videos and putting them up on youtube and then i began making originals and i guess I started improving and the right people found me also… now were here.
Which artists inspired you too become involved with alternative rap music?
– M.I.A, Kendrick, Childish Gambino, Drake, Kanye West, Kid Cudi, Chance the Rapper, Danny Brown, Imogen Heap etc Everyone who is making weird stuff and is making waves really. It was more so that I realised that you can’t become something if you’re following whats already happening so Ive just been finding my feet in unknown territory and hoping that its actually pretty decent at the same time ha!
What has been the biggest influence on your new Switch Tape Mixtape ?
– Just people around me and me in general. I wanted it to be cool… and different theres no sad parts its just 30 minutes of me complaining or just being happy.
Whats the meaning behind the mixtape title ?
– Switch Lanes is the lead single.. and I guess its a “switch” up. Its a new chapter of my life, Im moving on… I’m also putting my thoughts and emotions out there and showing people who I really am… so I’ve “switched” the cards lol i dont know if that makes sense.
What are the biggest challenges making an Mixtape ?
– For this there wasn’t really many because I’ve just been constantly writing and writing and writing and then we’ve compiled the best ones so far. But there were parts where I feel like i didn’t explore and obviously you go through mega anxiety feeling like its not good enough or you’re missing something but you just have to go with it and accept “This is me right now”
How would you describe your music on the new tape?
– Its fun, cutesy, angry, aggressive. Bratty…. I dont know. Its just a bit of everything.
What is your ambitions with your music, and what kind of feeling do you want to create?
– I want to create something that people will understand. But I also want everyone to hear it and have a chance to judge it when i know that everyone has heard what I have to say I will be cool with that.. .I want it to be fun, give everyone a sense of hope in achieving anything. I want to make bratty songs thats give people that “This isn’t the end” feeling. I want weird emotional songs that although they’re so sad you dont realise it because the vibes the song gives you are euphoric. I think thats what people like..
What aspect of making music excites you the most right now?
– Just knowing that there is a place for people who are trying to push boundaries, if you’re not pushing boundaries all the time you’re not going to last a long time. There are so many new sounds and genres emerging and its all really from your computer. The internet is making it all so accessible and young people are hungry to find whats new.
Who’s the coolest person you’ve worked with so far?
– Everyones cool, Elk, Swick and Lewis, Paces, Bok Bok etc they’re all great.
Is there any artist you would like to work with in the future?
– Yeah it would be cool to work with Dj Dahi, Baauer, Skrillex, Lido and the Owsla, Maddecent , Lucky Me crew etc. they’re all amazing.
What was the first event you ever played at?
– I can’t really remember I played at this place called Plus 1 3 times in a row within 2 weeks because I was practicing for a industry showcase called big sound. That was last year.
What’s the best event you’ve played at and why ?
– Splendour in the Grass was pretty amazing. Though Every festival gig I have is always really cool and fun people get into what I do…. its always been unreleased music also.
Out of all your tracks which one never fails?
– Handle My ego – its really catchy and has a simple chorus. I think thats what people like about it.
Fashion plays a big part in music nowadays, any favorite brands?
– Ragged Priest, Lazy Oaf, Kenzo, Marc Jacobs, Y.R.U and HBO theres so many!
What should your fans look forward too in the future?
– Hopefully more music that they will like! I’m experimenting etc and doing a lot of collabs also 🙂
How is the music scene in the Adelaide right now?
– Im not really sure i dont really spend a lot of time in adelside but there are cool people out there like Motez and Bad//dreams who are killing it.
Can you recommend three songs people should know ?
Drake – How Bout Now (Prod. by Boi-1da & Jordan Evans)
Becky Hill – Caution to the Wind
Baauer – One Touch (Feat. AlunaGeorge & Rae Sremmurd)